TIPS FOR THE HIKERS:
Safety on the mountain
The Trek Carlit 50 Estanys has no technical difficulties, it’s only about walking. It develops between about 1.900 and 2.921 m elevation above sea level in mountainous areas and high mountain, subject to harsh and changing weather conditions. Keep in mind these basic safety tips:
- Find out the weather conditions before leaving.
- Prepare itineraries with maps or guiding books and bring them always with you. If possible, use enhanced guidance and location systems (compass, altimeter, GPS ...).
- Be aware of your physical condition and act accordingly.
- Make estimates of the water and food needed.
- The mountain is an experience to be shared. Try to enjoy it in company.
- You have to be at the accommodation before 18.00h so we recommend to start walking early every day. Moreover, around midday and evening fogs and storms are frequent.
- At the beginning of the summer there are still glaciers, it is strongly recommended to bring sticks and crampons in the pack.
- Keep in mind that for much of the route there will be no mobile phone coverage, to call, or to download online cartography. Better take it already downloaded.
- The hike Carlit 50 Estanys has one slightly aerial point for those with vertigo. Thousands of people pass there every year, there is no any technical equipment required, but better to prevent. It is at the final way up to peak Carlit, where using some hand is sometimes required. In general every body passes by with no problems, but if you prefer, you can avoid the peak while waiting at the lakes below, at about 2.350 metres high. Your mates will come back at the same place.
Remember the emergency telephone number: 112. It is useful throughout Europe 24h.
- Good footwear is essential to make progress safely, the most important of all pieces of clothing.
- The waterproof jacket is essential any time of the year. The weather may change within hours.
- Always carry warm clothing for the body, head and hands, even at midsummer.
- Cover your head with a visor or wide-brimmed hat to avoid sunstroke.
- Put on high protection sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure.
- Minimise the weight, you will walk much better. A sheet – sleeping-bag can be enough because the lodgements have blankets for everyone. And if you book the picnics you will only carry the daily packed lunch.
- With the final booking document, we will hand you in a list with the recommended material to hike in Pyrenees.
Respect the environment. Take care of the flora, fauna and fragile ecosystems.